Sunday, April 19, 2015

Choosing Colors for Projects

I'm working on defining a color scheme to match the Villeroy & Boch Design Naif porcelain. 
It took me many years, piece by piece, to collect a full set of this design.  

Snapshot of some of the images on the dishes in this collection.

The goal is have a color guide to pick fabric to make matching placemats or other dinning room accessories. 

I use an app called ArtRage on my iPad to pick these colors.  I import a photo of one of the dishes in the collection and use a feature in the app to select and match the color with a color picker.  Then I digitally paint these colors to create a sample file I can print out to use as a guide to match against when looking through fabric choices. 

This sample was made using the paint brush tool in ArtRage. 


The pastel crayon tool. 


The wax rayon tool color. 


The paint roller tool. 



The ink pen tool. 


I used multiple different tools to paint the colors because even though the colors are all the same, the tool used gives a different appearance.  


I'm considering these basic colors to work with. 


Once I decide on the colors I wish to accentuate, I may design companion fabric in a simple geometric pattern to make other kitchen and dinning room accessories. For example color coordinated dish towels or napkins. I could also design a tablecloth pattern and have it printed at Spoonflower

These are all just ideas and possibilities but I plan to simply start with finding matching fabric in these general colors to make a table runner and placemats. 


Thanks for reading.
Aileen


No comments:

Post a Comment