Friday, October 12, 2012

One Done, Four More To Go

You know those fabric books I started on in August. Well, I finally finished one this week. I ended up making five different covers and thought I should finish one into a booklet before got any further with the idea. I might not like how they turn out and I needed to figure out how I was going to sew in the signature, how many pages I could fit into one booklet, and how stiff the cover needs to be to look and feel nice in booklet form. 

I am considering other support material, like interfacing, to make the next covers I make stiffer but still flexible. I want the cover to be soft but not too floppy. I also think the fabric cover booklets need some kind of secure closure because the fabric is unstructured and is not as hard as a regular book cover. I am basically still experimenting with this craft idea and shown below is my first completed denim covered booklet.


I added some stitching embellishments on the front and back and a flap to use with the button closure. It makes a nice neat package all buttoned up.
 


There is one signature of 13 sheets (52 pages) of assorted papers sewn into the denim cover. When open, the cover is very flexible and can be folded back to write, draw or add whatever you want to the pages.
 

I like how this turned out and it gives me ideas for doing the next one. This one now goes on the pile of things to give to someone someday.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment