Sunday, May 20, 2012

Iron Your Artwork!

What!? That was my reaction the first time I read someone suggest this. Seriously? How do you iron artwork and why? Only recently have I been creating artwork that could or should be ironed. With the exception of quilt making all my previous artwork was acrylic paint mostly on stretched canvas or canvas panels. Not things I would think to iron. But more recently, I have been doing watercolor or collage on heavy paper. As it turns out both of these types of works can benefit from a little ironing. To iron a piece of painted collage I place it between two sheets of parchment paper and iron it with a dry iron. This helps flatten the paper and smooths out the surface of the collage but stills leaves plenty of texture. And it seems to me to make the colors brighter! I'm not sure about that but I like the overall result. I like the results so much I will probably go back and iron some of the other collages I have done in the last couple months.

These are a few of my recent collages that were ironed. You can't really see the difference here but they are smoother, lie flat and scan nicely.

Painted paper and tissue paper collage


These are a few collages made from old calculus pages, maps and painted paper towels:



art_journal139

No comments:

Post a Comment