Monday, May 7, 2012

Butterflies are Easy

Sometimes when I am uninspired, unmotivated or just plain undecided on which project I want to work on I just sit down and draw a Butterfly. I have source books with thousands of examples of butterflies from around the world and countless imaginary ones to dream up. It is an easy shape but with endless possibilities for use of colors and patterns.

Today was one of those days so I tried something new. I used water based markers that I knew would bleed to draw parts of the butterfly and watercolor crayons to fill in the remainder of the colors. This was the result of my experiment:

Telipna transverstigma

Controlling the watery colors and the bleeding of the ink is a new challenge for me. I didn't want the black and orange to run together and become a grey mess. I think it came out OK but I plan to do more experiments like this.

After I took this picture I decided this plain little butterfly needed something more so ran it through a few photo filter apps on my iPad and settled on this conposition:


There are so many options in these apps that it is sometimes hard to decide what effects to apply but that is also the fun in playing with them. I usually end up with multiple pictures that I like and save them all but I liked this sunny little butterfly for a sunny day.

BTW, this is my little drawing spot, complete with sleeping cat:

 




No comments:

Post a Comment